6PAC Piece # 1 - Jumpsuit

Started my 6PAC... my Jumpsuit

I will just keep adding to this post as my 6PAC progresses.  So far I am going to start with my perceived hardest piece.  The jumpsuit.  KwikSew # 3898 View B. My fabric: Purple & Black  Poly/Rayon/Knit.  I am still learning about my fabrics, so unless I remember what the bolt said, I can only describe what I THINK the material feels like to me.  I am hoping this material is suitable for this jumpsuit and will not just hang with too much gravity and have no shape to it when I'm done.  This is the jumpsuit that I wanted to do about a year ago, and never got to. the 6PAC has given me life and I've out this back to the front burner to challenge myself to get'er done.

10/21/12:  So here goes my 6PAC Adventure.  Started yesterday by cutting the pattern out.  I'm going with Size S because I made a Kwik Sew overalls last year in size M and they were huge! so I'm thinking these pattern run large.  I hope!

Step One - The cutting of the Pattern


Step Two - Iron the pattern pieces
Step 3 - lay the pieces out and pin and then cut fabric - better line up that leg better - sure doesn't look like the grain line is true, does it?  :-)
So guess what??? I got the pieces cut but I pulled a muscle in my back with all that leaning over pinning and cutting both the pattern and the material, so now the rest of the day I was on bed rest and I'm laid up today again!!!! So my start is stopped!
Well It's football Sunday today anyway, but, my back being out is no fun, no matter what!  I had to go shopping this morning, but that was tough so i only got the basics, and DH will only get a light game food menu today, I am settled in my chair... Well, hope this gets better fast, cause i need to get back to the machine!!!! Gotta get started... 5 more pieces after this, no time for down time!!! :-)

Monday October 22nd

Yaye my back got better while I was at work!  I was ready to sew tonight woo hoo!.. So I started my jumpsuit...
First, had to apply all of the interfacing.
Here's a picture after the back pleat was sewn in and the yoke was installed on the top back
Well, the top is complete, except for hemming the sleeves, and i tried it on... perfect size, so I was right to go with the size small... That's a relief!  The fabric felt so nice, too! I was worried that the hand was going to be too "slinky" for this jumpsuit, but I now think it will be just how I imagined it when I first picked it out a year ago!  and the poly fibers made it feel warm, too, so it will work for this time of year.  I was on my forum at Stitcher's Guild and read a thread on knits and they talked of poly knits, and how back in the day they were "plasticky" well this one is far from that for sure! It is very soft and felt great on my skin.  They joked about how it "hurt to hug grandma" (scratchy)  LOL  I, too, remember that growing up and even remember wearing some of those poly's!  Yuk!!!

Here's a picture of the back.
Here is a close up of the yoke and shoulder. They both have top stitching.
Did I tell you that the Turtle neck pattern came today! kewl, huh? I'm psyched!  I am waiting on some swatches from Fabric.com in order to choose my 4th fabric for my 4th turtleneck.  I am going to make the jumper dress 2nd anyway and the turtlenecks last.  I am very pleased with how the jumpsuit is coming along...I may not be sewing at the super high levels of my new friends at the forum, but I need to start somewhere and perfect my newbie skills before moving up to intricate pieces like this woman Ann.  Check out her red vest and Blue top -they are TDF. 

 She has details on it on her blog Here:Ann's Blog .
Well that's it for tonight...going to start on the next steps tomorrow after work.. Will update after that.

October 24th

Well, I finished my Jumpsuit! How about that! It was one year in my stash, now done! DH gave it his stamp of approval... After assembling the bodice, the first day, I assembled the bottoms on Tuesday.  I might tell you I totally worked right through dinner, lost in my sewing cave, and DH had to whip something up and remind me to take a break and eat!!   Here I installed pockets, too.

And an good handful of buttonholes....

As I said this fabric, notions, pattern were from a year old stash, and I can see  I had a different view back then on which buttons were the best choice for this, but that's minor and I can change that any time!  They are nice buttons, but if I was doing this all now, I don't think I would have settled for these...

The pattern called for waist casing and buttonholes for the openings for the ribbon to come through on each side.

This is very comfortable to wear~ If I drive tomorrow to the office (as opposed to riding my motorcycle) I would like to wear this!

This was real fun to make! It is my first piece of my 6PAC, and I will be starting on my Black Cord Jumper this weekend, or next week.  Probably at least cut the fabric on Saturday...
All told, this took: 2 1/2 hours to cut the pattern and the fabric pieces, (with a quick lunch break in between), then 3 1/2 hours to complete the bodice (while cooking rotisserie chicken and rice), then 4 1/2 hours to complete the bottoms, and assemble them to the bodice - Heavy concentration on this segment..., and the final 1 1/2 - 2 hours making the button holes, installing the waist ribbon, and attaching the buttons. so about 12 leisurely hours & Wah-lah!
I will make this pattern again in a different fabric, because I love the pattern and results~.  I will make an adjustment possibly for the neck/collar, but if the material has more weight, I might just leave the pattern as is.  Now that I'm done with this one, I'm thinking that the jumper might be the hardest of the group... :-)
Check out my next post on the Jumper when I start it!

No comments:

Post a Comment