2.24.2013

Stenciled Painted Jacket

I had to try it!


Well my very very creative comrade IndigoTiger from Stitcher's Guild Forum does stenciling on her fabrics, check out her Star Stamp Stencil she made for SCA - see the post Indigo's Stenciled Outfit, along with her latest creation: Cave Horse Stencil.... (just scroll down that post a few lines)  So she was so inspirational to me, I had to give this a try - I used to love painting (acrylics & a little watercolor)  So I felt a pull to give it a go... - Thanks IndigoT...

So here it is Saturday... I've been racking my brain what to do for another piece of my SWAP, and how to incorporate a stencil into it... not coming up with anything the past couple of days.  In any event I need to try this out first anyway, to see how the technique works...  So I found a great jacket at the store this morning that I thought would be great for my experimentation.  So that's off to the washer and I'm off to JA for fabric paint.

They didn't have jacquard brand, so i had to go with the only one they had - hope it isn't too lacking... I chose the "soft matte" version of the paint, and off we went to check out in the lo-o-o-o-o-ng Saturday line :-) but all was well, because on my way out were the Girl Scout Cookies! snagged a handful of boxes of those to share at the office and DH's favorite for him.

So here we go on our adventure.  Here is the planned design:

 
I decided to go with a sewing theme because I do not have any sewing dedicated clothes - they are mostly Ravens, but other than that the embroidery is animals, or floral, or, well, things other than sewing - time to honor my newest craft! It's been almost 2 years this summer!  Thought this would be fun for my jacket.
 
Here are my supplies....
 
 
I decided to use my iron on tear-away stabilizer for my templates.  With the iron-on feature, my thoughts were that the paint wouldn't "bleed" under the template... we shall see if that theory works.... next the stabilizer is translucent and therefore easy to trace the layers of color change templates on top of each other.    So I drew onto the template paper layer 1 - the white paint layer, and cut it out...
 
 
The drew on the second layer - the wooden spools.

 
So, here are the 3 templates cut...


 
 
I plan to do some hand painting of threads ravelling off the spools, after the stencils are complete tomorrow.  I would probably only get 2 layers done tonight.  Supposed to dry 4 hours in between. And some black outlining, detailing, too.
 
 
I know this looks gray in the pic, but it's a gorgeous heather purple...

 
Template one affixed to the jacket...

 
Okay - painting done for white.....

 
Now wait 4 Hours... later will snap shots of layer 2....
 
Now it's 90 minutes later and I'm thinking I'd like to spruce up the text instead of plain white.  However I'm thinking how the template is not re-usable; just keep in mind what you use for the stencil b/c if you want to use it again, freezer paper or stabilizer is not the way to go - especially with the effort to cut those out....  Anyway, I think I'll just go over and pop some color onto the text while the template is still on...
 
So here is with the color highlights:
 
 
Now to unveil Layer 1.....

 
So my theory on "bleeding" was not foolproof, as the paint was sort of thick around the outside of all of the cut spaces.  The tear-away stabilizer worked nicely as afar as coming off - that J you can see was the worst of the bleeding...  Now I think I'm supposed to Iron this paint to set it, but I'm not sure when, or if the when matters.... I already moved on to layer 2, so we'll have to iron later at the least, but I'm figuring I'll just iron later this afternoon when all is done.  Here is the second layer...  I am using the sponge applicators for this, seeing if it makes a difference or not...  It also looked as I was applying the paint on the right side that the stabilizer was not quite ironed on perfectly... Hmmmm.... hope those spools come out okay...
 
This is fun!  This may be a simplistic design & concept, but I think I'll have a fun jacket from it...  I am going to paint some black lines on it for delineations and then there will be some color lines for the threads coming off of the spools... This should be fun looking, for a first timer, anyway  :-)  I also want to put "sewing" on the sleeves on at least one side, and something on the other.  (maybe "notions"?)  That's the advantage of the painting - being able to put things on the sleeves...can't embroider on sleeves (per say) unless you are able to undo the seams on the sleeves and what not...
 
 
Well, unless you want to sit for 4 hours and watch paint dry... I'm off........ Back later...
 

Later...

 
Spools Done..  It did seem that using the sponge applicators worked better, at least they did on here... is that because the spaces were smaller?  Here are the spool bodies worked well with these applicators - I don't think there was any overage...
 
 
Thread Bodies Applications...

 
All Templates Done....

 
Now for the freehand... I must admit I had the most fun here... shading the machine, it looks good in person, the threads, well they were basic... then had to fill in the spots in the text - not particularly my best work there... and then there was a spot left over, empty/negative space, so I entered my beginning year of my craft - 2011.

 
All in all I am satisfied with my first ever painting/stencil project.

 
Once this dries, I'll keep thinking about doing the sleeves.  If I do them, they might be freehand...Or I can take a look at stencils at JA of letters.  Those I can use over and over.....it was good to make the stencil of the sewing machine & then hand paint the details on it... but the little text I think I might like better hand drawn.  I don't know for sure, I have to experiment...
Last pic of the jacket "in action"... I notice I have the design low like when i made my faux leather halter, and the results are that the design bunches in that curvature of the small of my back.  So this is twice now, I will be more conscious of this moving forward... for this pic I pulled the waist of the jacket down, but probably won't wear it that way all the time, so the text will be bunched up a bit.
 
 
Oh yeah - the jacket is Purple Heather Jersey Knit (maybe doubleknit?) lined with Black Sherpa - kewl huh?  It's so cuddly and warm.... MMMmmmmmm
 
Cheers!
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment