11.15.2012

Angry Birds Toss Game

Holiday Party Game - Angry Birds Toss


Well at my office every year, I've become by default the sort of holiday party planner in a sense that I always seem to get it going, get the decorations bought, put up, plan the party, plus I make gifts for everyone every year, that management lets me hand out to everyone at the party.  I started this because for a couple years in a row, we had tried having "Secret Santa" party at the office and suffice ti to say it didn't work out - and the team just didn't have fun with it, we also tried "Pot-Luck" and that didn't really fit our group either... So, being my nature, I really wanted everyone to have a nice holiday party, so I started getting gifts for everyone, so everyone had something to open and receive at the party.  nothing major mind you - one year it was DVD Cases for the guys and mini Yankee candles for the gals, all with winter character stuffed toys assigned to each staff member, Ornaments for the tree with every one's names on them, one year I made stockings filled with "fitness" items - a jump rope, nature bar, a brain teaser game, (of course a piece of chocolate - just 1) - last year - custom mugs with everyone's name on them - this year - well you'll have to wait in case anyone reads the blog before the party...  But the order came already and I think they came out nice - I am going to embroider every one's name on them.

So Anyway.... each year I've never planned on an activity ahead of time for the party, thinking management had something, so this year I thought I would supplement that by adding something *fun* instead of just an ice breaker activity... So i must have spent a good solid week of nights surfing, tyring to get ideas... then I remembered one manager saying last year that he would like to do something with Angry Birds - make a shelter out of cardboard or something... So i had to research anrgybirds to see what he meant - I'm not into video games... ;) So upon thinking it out, it seemed that making a stage like the on-screen game, everyone would always knock it down, I couldn't come up with how to make the challenge in a live version... thinking.... thinking.... so i kept surfing and came across these little angry birds toys.  they call them 'flingers' where you put them on a stick and fling 'em... must be fun for kids, but they gave me an idea...  If I could make them velcro'd and a Velcro board, we could toss them to hit the board for points!  skills involved - toss properly, to actually hit the board and have them stick, then to place it in the areas to get the most points...the thought made great sense, now could i make it so it worked???  Gotta find out...

Searched for Velcro, aah yes 4" should be good... aah yes 5 yds should be good...  so i ordered it all.... it came in... so i sewed a little guy up, threw him at the Velcro roll and he stuck good!  Alright! so let's go for it....

The Guys...

Getting their Attachments....

I like to think of it as their Capes...

Figure a 22 x 28 poster frame....

So w/ 4" felt border to wrap around backing, that's 30 x 36, and 2" strips of ...I think I did 24"

Sew the Velcro strips to the felt - boy does felt stick to Velcro!

Bias tape for line markers
 
Made point markers (stars), little pictures and title and printed them on glossy photo paper, and cut them out, glued them to the board - need to add the 'golden egg' pictures before I bring it to the party! After all, I think that is the main theme of Angry Birds - they are protecting their eggs from the pigs...

This was an actual test run (above) and Yes! I got 500 points!  Also if you get it on the line, you get the higher of the points! (Like on the top row) So, this board is a sample of 875 Points!

 
This is the board with the guys lined up..
 
I sent it to management after I made sure it all worked - (waited til hubby tested it out to make sure the male fun factor was there - can you believe he got TWO characters in the 500 box????) and management thought it "Sure looks like it could be fun"
 
I think the crew will have a blast... and this was a game that everyone could participate in.. you see , half the team is on a call center, so they will need to rotate phones during the party, and since this will be a score sheet game, and tallied up at the end for prizes, all will be able to participate!
 
I hope they enjoy it!
 
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment